From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-02-14 16:14:40

On Wed, Feb 14, 2024 at 1:44 AM Dominique Devienne <ddevienne_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> But why do you need a login at all, in the first place?

That is a great question, and thanks for asking! My vision for this site is
to build a collaborative social media portal which is focused around C++
engineers sharing ideas and code. When you create an account on the website
(the best way to do so is simply to "Login with GitHub") it pulls publicly
available information such as your avatar, your activity in Boost github
repositories, your activity in the review process and mailing list, and
gives you the option to publish this information on the site.

The site has various ways for users to contribute content such as through
the News, through contributions to the documentation, through participation
in the review process and from interactions on the mailing list. When user
activity is displayed on the site, users have the option to opt-in to
having their avatar displayed along with a link to their bio.

Now some folks (especially those who might have been around during the days
of text-only browsers) might think that this is all unnecessary and they
are perfectly happy with having a static website, and we understand that
sentimentality. And we also believe that there is value in giving credit
and a spotlight to individuals who want to be recognized for their
open-source contributions. Elevating their presence on the site by
displaying their accomplishments and information is a way to do that. After
all, no one is getting paid to write libraries or participate in reviews,
so this is a way to honor you for that.

There are other aspects of the site which associate information about the
user such as their light/dark mode preference, the sorts in the library
page, and so on.

I hope you will agree that these features represent a new and exciting
chapter for the Boost website!

Thanks