From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-02-29 18:25:04

On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 10:17 AM Tom Honermann via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Now, Zach, as a long time SG16 participant and contributor, you know
> full well that wchar_t doesn't imply Unicode :)

I despise wchar_t and avoid it completely in public interfaces. I'll
drop down to using it inside an implementation, but my functions which
accept Unicode strings use char, and I perform the conversion in the
implementation even when doing so has a performance cost (such as on
Windows which wants a "wide string"). I try to offer only utf-8 as the
choice of encoding for Unicode (again even on Windows).

It's a thankless job but someone has to protect the world from the
ugliness of wide characters.

Thanks