From: David Sankel (camior_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-03-01 17:38:35

On Fri, Mar 1, 2024 at 12:04 PM Christian Mazakas via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> > Parser combinator libraries have progressed a lot since then and, having
> > used both styles extensively, I'm much more eager to pick up one of the
> > more modern designs. I would expect a Boost library to reflect the state
> > of the art not only in language features used, but also in API design for
> > the domain.
>
> Do you have any C++ examples where this is the state of the art?

Google monadic parser combinator C++ and you'll find plenty.

> Do you
> have any examples of current literature?

I'd suggest starting with the 2001 parsec paper and looking to where it was
cited by later research on scholar.google.com.

> Declaring monadic parser combinators to be the state of the art when
> Haskell is
> mostly relegated to academic programs is kind of ostentatious, for lack of
> a better term.

Seriously? Industry languages borrow state of the art from research
languages all the time.

The thing about Haskell is that it's had time to gain ground but it just
> hasn't
> because people aren't interested in it.

This isn't relevant.

> I don't mind exploring the design
> space
> of transforming parsers but I don't think there's anything particularly
> outdated
> about Parser's approach.

Great, that's exactly what I'm encouraging. Explore the design space!

> If anything, I think the way you compose parser_interfaces in this library
> actually
> would be the natural transformation required to form the monad in the first
> place.

Which aspects of "the way you compose" form the monad?