From: Hassan Sajjad (hassan.sajjad069_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-03-22 09:59:40

> Also, personally, I don't think C++ is a good choice for a build system
> language. The build system files are unnecessarily verbose, and the
> build process seems too complex.

This is a subjective opinion. I appreciate it but would appreciate it more
if you could provide actionable feedback. I believe mine is the
easiest-to-use build system out there, especially for C++ development.

I'm strongly opposed to supporting a third build system. Especially
> given that the proposed build system is not mature and hasn't gained
> wide adoption. In fact, from the GitHub page it looks like a prototype
> rather than something that was battle tested. I see no documentation
> besides the readme with a few examples.

It is not battle-tested but ready for one. I feel it has now passed from
the training academy. More documentation would be added as more features
would be added.

This is a very ambitious time frame, IMO.

While converting SFML, more time was spent on understanding the current
build-description compared to expressing it in C++/HMake. SFML basic
configuration was achieved in 200 lines. It does not take much time to
write 200 lines. And I have experience with Boost build-system b2.

If we do want to sponsor our build system advance, I think the money
> would be better spent on improving CMake support in Boost and in
> implementing features we need in CMake.

I feel that the return on investment that I offer is unmatched. That's due
to a fundamentally better approach to my software.

Many libraries have first come to boost and then come to C++ standard. You
should sponsor me because if this succeeds, others might adopt it as
as-well. For even bigger projects like UE5, the advantage of compiling with
header-units would be bigger >4x compared to my estimate of >2.5x in
clean-build for Boost.