From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-03-22 10:47:24

On 21/03/2024 17:34, Hassan Sajjad via Boost wrote:

> I want to propose my build-system HMake for boost. Besides its already
> state-of-the-art C++20 modules and header-units support, it will be the
> first to support https://lists.isocpp.org/sg15/2023/11/2106.php or
> https://lists.isocpp.org/sg15/2023/11/2146.php if any of this gets
> implemented. These papers present ideas for faster module adoption and
> avoiding redundant module compilations. These need support from
> build-system. This way boost could be a breeding ground for C++20 modules
> adoption. Also, I have good experience with boost's current build-system b2
> as a good portion of HMake's current API is inspired by it.

Unless it's improved cmake build support for Boost, I cannot say I am
interested in yet another build system.

I also think few would consume Boost as modules for many, many years yet
to come. Precompiled headers if they work provide most of the build
speed improvements, and everything else Modules v1 supplies has marginal
utility for the vast majority of C++ use cases if I am blunt.

I am still hoping for a Modules v2 from the committee which has tangible
benefits for the majority of users.

Niall