From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-03-28 14:01:49

On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 2:34 PM Robert Ramey via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I would like to see suggestions as to how we could get usage statistics
> on boost libraries.

Yes, this is an important area of analysis for which no perfect solution
exists. However, researchers at The C++ Alliance have developed an
experimental technique which offers hope for newly submitted libraries. It
works like this:

* We maintain an inventory of unique names that are not found on the web
* New libraries will be assigned a unique name from our inventory
* A C++ Alliance cloud application will trawl the web for references to the
name

For example, the next library which is accepted may be given the name
Boost.Zissifrak, a term which nets zero search results using Google. Using
this method we can indirectly measure the popularity of the library over
time by observing the evolution of the number of matching search results.

Thanks