From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-03-28 14:13:46

On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 1:41 PM Artyom Beilis via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> - Some come with good basic idea but try to become to C++ nerdy make it
> too limited and not as useful (like Boost.Beast that I personally voted
> for no, but this is since I have actual experience in building useful web
> framework CppCMS)

Beast is to a C++ CMS or web framework what raw sockets are to networking.
The intention of Beast was only to achieve one quantum increment of
progress in the direction of bringing HTTP and Websocket to C++. I totally
hear you that you wish it did more, and I wish that as well. To this end we
are working on the spiritual successor to Beast, which is actually a
collection of five libraries:

https://github.com/cppalliance/buffers
https://github.com/cppalliance/http_proto
https://github.com/cppalliance/http_io
https://github.com/cppalliance/websocket_proto (not created yet)
https://github.com/cppalliance/websocket_io (not created yet)

These libraries are similar to Beast in that they offer HTTP and Websocket
functionality. But with the following differences:

* Designed largely without templates
* Optimized memory usage pattern
* Protocols are encapsulated in a separate "sans-io" library (
https://sans-io.readthedocs.io/)
* Corrects flaws discovered with Beast's APIs
* More HTTP and Websocket features are "in scope" than before

This won't be a full blown CMS but it will be more than what Beast does.

Thanks