Re: [Boost-docs] Why "boost.root"? (was: Can't build bjam docs)

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] Why "boost.root"? (was: Can't build bjam docs)
From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-20 08:45:25

Rene Rivera wrote:
> But, I still question the need to have the boost.root setting. Are we
> really only interested in knowing where the "doc" location is? Or are
> we interested in the "html" (or "xhtml") output dir? If so, why not
> have "doc.root.path" or "output.root.path", making this a Boost
> agnostic setting?

I think historically boost.root (as well as being undocumented!) only really
set the location of the boost icon. The current objective is that you set
boost.root and then all of:

* The boost icon.
* The html images.
* The links used by the top-of-page banner.

Just plain work without you having to do anything else, it's *very*
convenient for Boost work.... but you are right that non-Boost stuff
shouldn't have to set anything called "boost.root". Ideally you'd set the
icon path and/or image paths explicitly, but with more appropriately named
params.

Actually, having just looked through Mattias's latest docs, it looks to me
as though this is moving in the right direction: the new params looks very
flexible and well thought out to me.

The question, I guess, is what do we do in the mean time?

John.