Re: [Boost-docs] [quickbook] Reusing footnote

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] [quickbook] Reusing footnote
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-29 09:16:52

On 29 December 2010 07:10, Edward Diener <eldiener_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> For a full native implementation, I'm not sure how to handle ids. The
>> normal quickbook id mechanism would be pretty confusing.
>
> Why not have footnote ids in Quickbook be syntactically like table ids ? So
> one could have '[footnote:myid The actual footnote]' and then later, to
> duplicate the same footnote '[footref quickbook.phrase.footnotes.myid]'.
> That would be cleaner than the anchor mechanism. Of course if phrase
> elements do not have ids like block elements it will not work, which is
> probably what you are telling me with your anchor proposed hack.

That's pretty much what I meant by a native implementation. We can add
ids to any element, but doing so is a breaking change (although an
unlikely one, who'd start a footnote with ':'?) so they're normally
done with a version switch. I'm thinking about making the parser a bit
stricter about how it handles certain punctuation. Part of that could
forbid starting element contents with an unescaped ':', so that the id
syntax could be freely used anywhere in the future.

Daniel