Re: [Boost-docs] [quickbook] Breaking a line

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] [quickbook] Breaking a line
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-25 13:27:10

On 1/25/2011 4:02 AM, John Maddock wrote:
>> How does one break a line, so that succeeding text starts on another
>> line, in quickbook ?
>>
>> I do not want a new paragraph just to break a line, since this puts
>> out a blank line in between.
>>
>> Using either [br] or \n to break the line gives a deprecate warning
>> every time.
>>
>> There should be a means to break a line in quickbook without getting a
>> deprecate warning each time, so either [br] or \n should not give a
>> deprecate warning, or some other means to break a line in quickbook
>> without creating a new paragraph should be documented.
>
> The issue is that there is no such mechanism in docbook - a [br] is
> really a presentation issue, not a structural one, and docbook deals
> with structure not presentation.

I do not know what the difference between structure and presentation
means. One creates a language so that documents can be written using xml
markup. if I can not structure my document so that a given piece of
information appears at a given place, what is the purpose of such a
language ?

Since [br] appears to work anyway in quickbook, maybe we can remove the
warning as it is very annoying.