Re: [Boost-docs] The beauty of LATEX

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] The beauty of LATEX
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-28 11:51:21

Well - there's some truth in that - I used to use the PDF version in preference to HTML just
because you can do a global search through the whole document. But having got the index, thanks to
John's work, I prefer the index. This is because you can see the section that the entry will take
you to. For example, looking a skeleton doc now in HTML, if I look up C++, I see "About
multiprecision", "Document convention", "References", "C++ Reference", "System Architecture". So
it's obvious which entry is most promising for what I might be seeking (and obvious that "Document
convention" almost certainly isn't). If the first try isn't successful, you can go back to the
index for another try. Since so few docs have been regenerated using John's auto-index, I don't
think people have got used to using it, and seem the benefit yet: I hope all future docs will
provide indexes - if not why not!

So I still place 'index' in the essential list.

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow,
Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal LA8 8AB  UK