Re: [Boost-docs] A downside of qbk

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] A downside of qbk
From: Stuart Dootson (stuart.dootson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-08 08:59:43

On 8 November 2011 04:04, Dave Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> on Sun Nov 06 2011, Joel de Guzman <joel-AT-boost-consulting.com> wrote:

> >> Actually, I just had an idea: make sure that qbk is an extension of
> >> markdown syntax, which IMO is winning the wiki-like syntax wars. Then
> >> we could get reasonable rendering for many things even where there's no
> >> qbk support at all.
> >
> > markdown has similarities to qbk syntax. But then we have to
> > tweak our qbk source to conform to its syntax. That would be
> > tedious unless done automatically. Also, the markdown syntax
> > will be a very small subset (e.g. does it even have tables at
> > all? http://tinyurl.com/3qvtr).
>
> Yeah, sort of.
>
> http://michelf.com/projects/php-markdown/extra/#table
>
> maybe there are too many flavors of Markdown; I don't know. Maybe ReST
> would be a better choice.
>
> --
> Dave Abrahams
> BoostPro Computing
> http://www.boostpro.com

Might be worth having a look at MultiMarkdown (
http://fletcherpenney.net/multimarkdown/) - it seems to be gaining traction
as 'the' extended Markdown, with quite a few features (including tables)
over and above standard Markdown... It also has support for combining
multiple MMD files (using an index file) to produce a single resultant
document, which may be of use...

Stuart Dootson