Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] [bindings] matrix traits
From: Karl Meerbergen (Karl.Meerbergen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-09 03:25:11

Thomas Klimpel wrote:
> Karl Meerbergen wrote:
>
>> I have committed the idea of the workspace that we discussed last year.
>>

> Very good. I also like the fact that I'm still able to understand the implementation.
>

>> I also removed some bugs.
>>

> Are there bugs that are not exposed by the regression tests?

These are merely things like typename MatrA::value_type which is
replaced by matrix_traits<MatrA>::value_type, e.g. Since we use ublas
containers in the regression tests, such type of error is not uncovered.

> I remember seeing that the glas tests for syev and syev_d failed, but I always thought that this was a glas issue. I tried to test them again now, but they now have a compile error that I don't understand. (

It is a glas issue, don't worry, this will be solved, but it is low on
my priority list. A colleague needs it now, so I will try and solve it
in the coming weeks.

> syev.cpp:32: instantiated from here
> /home/klimpel/cpp/glas/trunk/glas/glas/concept/pointer.hpp:17: error: no type named 'pointer' in 'class glas::matrix_symmetric_collection<glas::dense_matrix<double, glas::column_orientation> >'
> syev.cpp:32: instantiated from here
> /home/klimpel/cpp/glas/trunk/glas/glas/backend/glas/container/contiguous_dense_vector.hpp:104: error: no matching function for call to 'storage_ptr(const glas::dense_matrix_column_view<glas::matrix_symmetric_collection<glas::dense_matrix<double, glas::column_orientation> > >&)'
> )
> (While I'm at glas: py/validate.py is missing the executable flag, and the tests for ./toolbox/mase/ semiseparable and semiseparable_d also fail for me.)
>
> I also see that you removed matrix_traits<...>::storage_size, which is good because it was neither needed nor used. So there are now three changes with respect to tw506.pdf: matrix_traits<...>::num_rows and matrix_traits<...>::num_columns instead of matrix_traits<...>::size1 and matrix_traits<...>::size2, and no matrix_traits<...>::storage_size. Apart from that, I still consider tw506.pdf to be the most authoritative documentation of the numeric-bindings library.

Actually, this paper has been revised, a second revision is on its way.
I will put the latest version on my website.
http://www2.cs.kuleuven.be/~karlm/glas/

>> some functions still need furth work to use workspace3
>>

> I will update hbevx, heevd, heevx, syevd and syevx. I will also update the regression tests to use the new simplified syntax "workspace(wc,wr)".

Excellent.

Best regards,

Karl