Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] size1 and size2
From: Karl Meerbergen (karl.meerbergen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-14 13:29:45

Dear all,

I think that num_rows() and num_columns() are currently used quite often
in libraries. Note that the bindings also use this terminology now after
strong suggestions from the referees.

For vectors, it is usually size() (because of STL I guess). Matlab uses
length(), whereas size() assumes a matrix argument.

For tensors etc, size<i> are probably the best option. This is also
compatible with matlab.

In short, there is no consensus. Using free functions instead of member
functions all of them can be implemented, of course.

Best,

Karl