Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] Status of development /Benchmarks
From: Rutger ter Borg (rutger_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-09 04:13:33

Hey David,

the whole problem of most numerical packages, IMHO, is that everything
is tied together. I would encourage a very loosely coupled system. I.e.,
a system that maybe even would be able to switch storage layout,
algorithms, etc., at run-time, maybe following some simple numerical
tests. Of course, only if this would be enabled at compile-time.

Data storage and manipulation should be fully loosely coupled, from low
abstraction to high abstraction:

* the storage of data. This is about memory-efficiency, and hence, speed
of computation. Storage engines might be linear, sparse, etc..
* functional shape of the data. Dense, triangular, etc.
* numerical properties of the data. Positive definite, etc.
data-formats
* unified matrix/vector view on the data
* procedural manipulation of the data, shallow views on the data, views
on views, etc.

Algorithms should be loosely coupled, too, from low abstraction to high
abstraction:

* execution / memory models (synchronous, asynchronous, single core,
multi-core, shared memory, distributed memory, GPU memory)
* computational kernels (own C++ CPU-optimized implementations,
openblas, atlas, gotoblas2, lapack, mumps, opencl, cuda, fft, etc)
* expression trees, syntax of expression trees (Boost.Proto stuff)
* optimal assignment of computational kernels to expression trees (maybe
partly at runtime!)
* being able to extend the expression tree machinery (e.g., with hooks)
with own algorithms

Maybe a new library name would be appropriate?

Cheers,

Rutger