The inline keyword is only a hint to the compiler that you think this method would be more efficient inlined than a standard function call. The compiler is free to ignore any and all of your inline hints and it is also free to inline anything when it thinks it will be more efficient. Nowadays with compiler optimizations turned on it is very good at figuring out what to inline and what not to. This is just a guess, but perhaps previous compiler versions were not as good at figuring out what to inline when heavy template use and metaprogramming was being used.