Hi all,

Thank you for your interest in ublasJama.

Well, I was considering it to be public domain, since my work is incremental over public-domain software. Frankly, it just doesn't deserve a license of its own :-)

I guess Jama was public-domain for the same reason (there was a - good? - time, in the 70s and 80s, when a lot of FORTRAN code was just released as public domain, and products such as Matlab probably wouldn't exist without these).

I should probably make it more clear on the ublasJama page.

It should make no problem for a potential inclusion in boost, what do you think about this?

I did the same for cminpack http://devernay.free.fr/hacks/cminpack.html which is distributed with the original MINPACK copyright notice.

I love those old super-robust FORTRAN codes. I'm just hoping I didn't introduce a few bugs here and there ;-)

Fred

Le 1 mai 2010 à 10:00, David Bellot a écrit :

In term of license, if we consider it's an original work (i.e. not just a single translation of jama in c++) then I would prefer to have the boost license on it so that not to bother with the complexity of licensing.

If Frederic agree on it, I would like him to add this license to his work so that we can consider integration into ublas.
I think we will have to better integrate things now, but it will be a pleasure to have such a collection of algorithms in ublas.

David

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 17:19, Tom Vercauteren <tom.vercauteren@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Frédéric,

This is indeed quite interesting. I was just wondering about the
license of your code.

As far as I understand it, the original JAMA is "public domain" hence
even more permissaive than boost license:
 http://math.nist.gov/javanumerics/jama/#Authors
 http://cio.nist.gov/esd/emaildir/lists/jama/msg01295.html
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_domain

Is it also the case for ublasJama? I was not able to see any license
information on your webpage nor in the source code:
 http://devernay.free.fr/hacks/ublasJama-1.0.2.2.tar.gz

It would be nice to add, for example, a LICENSE.txt file with the
relevant information to your source package. The best for me would of
course be to find an OSI approved license
 http://www.opensource.org/licenses/alphabetical
such as the MIT, Boost or BSD one.

Cheers,
Tom