Boost logo

Boost Announcement :

From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-30 12:38:09

Hi all,

now, as Andy has finished his implementation (here:
http://boost-consulting.com/vault/, file: uuid_v8.zip) we can move forward
with the results of the review.

This review has been kind of special in the sense that

- it revealed some serious problems with the library to review (a license
incompatibility problem and a security related problem around the random
number generator scheme used),
- it also spawned lots of dicussions on how to solve these problems.

In the end we reached full agreement on what has to be done and Andy agreed
to implement the changes.

Normally, the mentioned problems would have prevented the acceptance of the
library into Boost.

OTOH, I think the following facts warrant not to reject the library in the
first place:

- The issues have already been discussed and a consensus has been reached on
how to resolve the problems
- Almost all reviewers found the proposed library to be incredibly useful
and wanted to see the library accepted given the problems will be resolved
- Andy fixed all of the significant problems in a short timeframe

The final decision about the acceptance of the library will be made after a
mini review of the proposed library (to be scheduled), which should
concentrate on the new code presented by Andy and whether the mentioned
problems have been appropriately fixed.

Regards Hartmut
Review Manager

Boost-announce list run by bdawes at acm.org, david.abrahams at rcn.com, gregod at cs.rpi.edu, cpdaniel at pacbell.net, john at johnmaddock.co.uk