Boost logo

Boost Announcement :

Subject: [Boost-announce] Boost.Algorithms Review Begins today
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-23 00:21:19

The review period for the proposed Boost.Algorithms library, by Marshall
Clow, begins today (September 22) and runs through Oct 1. I'm pleased
to act as review manager.

,----[ Important Notes ]
| - Please do not post your review or discussion as a reply to this
| message.
| - Please begin your review's subject line with "[Review:Algorithms]"
| - Please feel free to note any individual issues in the GitHub issue
| tracker and make reference to them from your review.
| - Please see below for *further* important notes

You can find the library at
If you don't want to use Git, you can get a .zip or tarball snapshot at

The Boost Algorithms library is a work in progress; it is not meant to
be a complete set of general purpose algorithms for C++ programming;
but rather a small collection of useful algorithms, and a structure
for adding more over time.

The algorithms here fall into three basic categories:

1. Searching
   - Boyer-Moore Search
   - Boyer-Moore-Horspool Search
   - Knuth-Morris-Pratt search
2. Sequence properties
   - Tests to see if a sequence is ordered
   - Tests for the elements of a sequence
3. Miscellaneous
   - Constrain a value between two 'boundaries' (minmax)

Potential Interactions with Existing Boost Libraries

This submission potentially interacts with all of the following existing
Boost libraries:

* foreach -
* minmax -
* range -
* string_algo -

Reviewers should consider these potential interactions.

What to include in Review Comments

- Keep your criticism constructive. Constructive criticism usually
  comes with specific suggestions for improvement.

- If you identify problems along the way, please note if they are minor,
  serious, or showstoppers.

- Please *do* vote on whether the library should be accepted. Everyone
  who takes the time to look at the library is qualified to vote, and
  every vote is valuable.

- Other questions you might want to answer in your review:
  * What is your evaluation of the design?
  * What is your evaluation of the implementation?
  * What is your evaluation of the documentation?
  * What is your evaluation of the potential usefulness of the library?
  * Did you try to use the library? With what compiler? Did you have any problems?
  * How much effort did you put into your evaluation? A glance? A quick reading? In-depth study?
  * Are you knowledgeable about the problem domain?

Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

Boost-announce list run by bdawes at, david.abrahams at, gregod at, cpdaniel at, john at