Boost Announcement :
Subject: [Boost-announce] [boost] [type_erasure] Review started (July 18-27, 2012)
From: Lorenzo Caminiti (lorcaminiti_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-07-18 01:13:20
*** The review of Steven Watanabe's proposed Boost.TypeErasure library
begins on July 18, 2012 and ends on July 27, 2012. ***
C++ provides runtime polymorphism through virtual functions. They are
a very useful feature, but they do have some limitations.
* They are intrusive. In generic programming, we can design an
interface which allows third-party types to be adapted to it.
* They require dynamic memory management. Of course, most of the
problems can be avoided by using an appropriate smart pointer type.
Even so, it still acts like a pointer rather than a value.
* Virtual functions' ability to apply multiple independent concepts to
a single object is limited.
The Boost.TypeErasure library solves these problems allowing us to
mirror static generic programming at runtime.
You can also download archives with pre-built documentation from:
Please submit a review to the mailing-list by replying to this email
("[boost] [type_erasure] Review ..." should be in the subject).
Please state clearly whether you think this library should be accepted
as a Boost library.
Other questions you may want to consider:
1. What is your evaluation of the design?
2. What is your evaluation of the implementation?
3. What is your evaluation of the documentation?
4. What is your evaluation of the potential usefulness of the library?
5. Did you try to use the library? With what compiler? Did you have
6. How much effort did you put into your evaluation? A glance? A
quick reading? In-depth study?
7. Are you knowledgeable about the problem domain?
Thanks in advance to all who participate in the review discussion --
I'm looking forward to it!
The review manager.
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Boost-announce list run by bdawes at acm.org, david.abrahams at rcn.com, gregod at cs.rpi.edu, cpdaniel at pacbell.net, john at johnmaddock.co.uk