Boost logo

Boost Announcement :

Subject: [Boost-announce] [gsoc16] An update on GSoC 2016 contingency plans
From: Niall Douglas (gsoc-admin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-03-02 11:17:39

Dear Boost,

We've been collecting a list of veteran Summer of Code students where
"veteran" means students whom have previously done a Google Summer of
Code for Boost. It /may/ be possible for us to acquire enough funding
from a number of contributors to tide over ongoing GSoC projects this
summer during our year off from Google funding for veteran students
only. The stipend to the student would be the same as with Google,
$5,500. The mentor stipend would likely need to be waived under any
substitute programme.

We would therefore appreciate an update from student and/or mentor as
to whether they were intending to submit a continuing GSoC this
summer and would be willing to continue work on their Boost library
under any funding we find. If we have forgotten any students or
projects, please get in touch.

Extant ongoing summer of code projects known to us are (please send
corrections of any mistakes):

* Boost Document, mentored by Antony Polukhin.
https://anuragxel.github.io/boost-document/

Student: Anurag Ghosh

* Boost.Compute, mentored by Kyle Lutz.
https://boostorg.github.io/compute/

Student: Jakub Szuppe

* Boost.Hana, mentored by Joel Falcou.
https://boostorg.github.io/hana/

Student: Louis Dionne

* Boost.Http, mentored by Bjorn Reese.
https://boostgsoc14.github.io/boost.http/

Student: Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira

* Boost.Fixed-Point, mentored by Paul Bristow.
https://github.com/BoostGSoC15/fixed_point

Student: Nikhar Agrawal

We are aware of the following Boost libraries who have strong but
new-to-Boost potential student candidates in the pipeline for summer
of code 2016:

* Boost.odeint, mentored by Karsten Ahnert and Mario Mulansky

There is even less chance we can find funding for these, but if any
of the veteran students or mentors has to suddenly pull out before
the summer, we would substitute one of these projects instead.
Therefore, if mentors had a really excellent student lined up for
2016, please let us know.

None of the above should be read that summer of code 2016 is going
ahead. We just need some hard numbers with which to lobby for
funding. We will get back to the community as soon as we know more.

We need all this information requested above back BEFORE this weekend
as we will be making use of the Jacksonville ISO WG21 meeting
currently happening to grab the right people to ask them for
donations from their corporate bodies.

If YOUR corporate org would be willing to help sponsor a summer of
code student, either partially or in full, PLEASE get in touch.
Donations to Boost are tax deductible for US taxpayers.

Thank you all very much in advance!

Niall

---
Boost C++ Libraries Google Summer of Code 2016 admin
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/SoC2016

Boost-announce list run by bdawes at acm.org, david.abrahams at rcn.com, gregod at cs.rpi.edu, cpdaniel at pacbell.net, john at johnmaddock.co.uk