Boost logo

Boost Interest :

From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-27 15:06:15

on Tue May 27 2008, "Doug Gregor" <doug.gregor-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 12:40 PM, troy d. straszheim
> <troy_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> I'm sure we're not the only ones who would be interested in
>> this, in part because:
>>
>> - We (http://www.icecube.wisc.edu) need this too... I have to write it anyway.
>> We're losing sysadmin-hours on restarting dart servers.
>
> Well, CDash should fix that with only a small amount of effort.
>
>> - It seems inevitable that some community of users would pop up around this.
>> Maybe the kitware guys would be interested in it once they
>> see how fundamentally slick the trac integration is. (Though until they switch from
>> cvs+mantis to svn+trac, it might continue to be hard for them to 'get it')
>
> It'll be a hard sell; Kitware has been using Mantis for a while, and
> many of their projects still use CVS.

I'm almost certain Trac can use CVS; it isn't actually tied to
subversion. People write all kinds of VC backend plugins, and a CVS one
doubtless exists somewhere.

>> - There is no lock-in for boost. A future switch to a tweaked cdash, or whatever,
>> could occur basically just by changing some urls. The development could proceed
>> in parallel with the other approach (which I'm gathering is a couple of bitten
>> hacks, plus xsl transforms of ctest output and client scripts).
>
> This is a big advantage of basing things on CTest. We can prototype or
> evaluate systems easily, and switch from one to another if necessary.
> I could probably set up a CDash server as a fallback, to give us at
> least some kind of regression reporting right now.

Sounds fine to me.

>> I realize that there is well-founded hesitation about inventing
>> things that we'll need to maintain. I'm OK with a
>> thanks-but-no-thanks (if so, forget I mentioned it, and I'll be glad
>> to assist with bitten hacks, I'm getting pretty good with these trac
>> plugins.)
>
> At this point, I don't really want to dissuade anyone from trying
> anything. I am very concerned about building our own system that we
> have to maintain by ourselves, or adopting something that doesn't
> already have a significant community behind it for maintenance. But, I
> also know that there is *no* system out there that meets Boost's
> needs.

Yes, we'll need to maintain *something*, even if it's only CSS or some
HTML templates.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing