Boost logo

Boost Interest :

From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-27 17:07:26

on Tue May 27 2008, "troy d. straszheim" <troy-AT-resophonic.com> wrote:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>>> - the model is simple. You ingest ctest's xml into the database, then
>>> any view of the data that you want to hack together, you can.
>>
>> Not so different from the bitten model, is it?
>
> Well once the build results are in the database, I guess it isn't so different,
> but again the bitten server keeps track of
> which builds/recipes were doled out to which platform at which
> revision.

I think we'd want to track that, too, no? We don't want two identical
slaves to do the same work... which brings up the fact that we haven't
really considered resource usage well yet.

   * build/test responsibility ought to be split among multiple slaves
     with the same configuration when they're available.

   * multiple slaves with a shared disk should be able to share
     repository revision images. This is especially important for me,
     as I'm running VMs to test on a multicore machine.

> It also knows which builds are pending, how many steps each contains,
> etc.

Don't we want to know that stuff? I do!

> There's a lot of state there, and the code is tangly. None of that
> applies to the traash/ctest/dart model, where the client decides to
> build by consulting svn directly, and the server simply ingests build
> results as they arrive. Anyhow, I guess we can let this die now.

Naw, let's shake it a little more.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing