Boost logo

Boost Interest :

Subject: Re: [Boost-cmake] Creating "Known Issues": CMake Problems with boost 1.39
From: troy d. straszheim (troy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-13 09:41:33

Tan, Tom (Shanghai) wrote:
> This is a re-post from the boost-users list, Thanks to Troy d.
> straszheim who reminded me there that there’s a dedicated list here.

Good to see you over here

> I used CMake to build boost 1.39 and found at least two problems:
>
> - In the cmakelist.txt file the BOOST_VERSION_MINOR is 38, instead of 39

A known problem. You can tweak this in the toplevel CMakeLists.txt.
Look for BOOST_VERSION_MINOR. I will also sooner or later put up a git
branch containing all the patches we collect.

> - The generated boost.test libs have an additional “-s” to the file
> names, ex. libboost_unit_test_framework-vc90-mt-1_39-s.lib, instead of
> libboost_unit_test_framework-vc90-mt-1_39.lib. This will cause a linking
> error while using boost.test. this does not happen to the bjamed results.

In the cmakefiles I see

       # If the STATIC_TAG flag was set, we append "-s" to the name of
       # the library. This is an unfortunate hack, needed only for the
       # test library.
       if (THIS_LIB_STATIC_TAG)
         set(THIS_LIB_STATIC_TAG "-s")

But I don't remember all the details of the hack, and I wonder if I can
just create a patched version that removes this. Can you just refer to
liblahblah-s from your side?

> Another thing I noticed but am not sure is that signal2 is not included
> in the CMake support(no cmakelists.txt under signals).

not on the trunk or release branches either... but it is a headeronly
library. Are you trying to run the tests? I've updated the docs to
point out that 1.38 and 1.39 the only support is for building
/installing the libraries, not for running tests within boost.

I've added a "Known Issues" section to the docs... could you help me be
sure that the information is complete?

   http://www.resophonic.com/boost_cmake/#known-issues

-t