Boost logo

Boost Interest :

Subject: Re: [Boost-cmake] CMake for development testing
From: Brad King (brad.king_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-08 09:17:07

David Abrahams wrote:
> 67/ 79 Testing Python-result Passed
> 68/ 79 Testing Python-string_literal ***Failed
> 69/ 79 Testing Python-borrowed ***Failed
> 70/ 79 Testing Python-object_manager Passed
> 71/ 79 Testing Python-copy_ctor_mutates_rhs Passed
> 72/ 79 Testing Python-upcast Passed
> Worse, it's in there among all the successful test output, so I have to
> dig around to find the failures.

The list of failures is summarized at the end of the output, isn't it?

Then you can use '-R' to regex-select tests and '-V' to see verbose
output:

   ctest -R Python-string_literal -V

We've found this basic command-line approach to be sufficient because:

   1.) The display on CDash from "make Experimental" is interactive.
       We typically submit to the main server, but it is possible to
       submit to localhost too.

   2.) When fixing a test we often need to run it specifically many
       times, so typing a command-line to select one test is necessary.

For these reasons we've never felt the need for better reporting from
the command-line tool. If you have a suggestion to improve reporting
from a one-off command-line run, please post it. However, we don't
want to get into advanced html generation which duplicates work already
done in CDash.

-Brad