On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 9:44 AM, Doug Gregor <doug.gregor@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 1:31 PM, Mike Jackson
<mike.jackson@bluequartz.net> wrote:
> I would like to start contributing to the Boost-CMake integration effort but
> I would like some help determining where to "jump in". Looking at the list
> <https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/CMakeTODO> it seems like somethings
> may be straight forward but others may be more difficult.

Completing the modularization and making sure that we are building +
testing all of the Boost libraries are the top priorities, because
that makes the build system usable. Portability (to Windows, Linux,
Mac) is next up, followed by (I think) documentation generation.

When to merge into trunk is related to the question of priorities.

For example, document generation is a peculiar animal because of the long toolchain. But if the build system is working for all libraries and merged into trunk, the docs folks may be able to help with that process.

Likewise, once the build system is working for most or all libraries on one platform and merged into the trunk, other boosters can be of more help getting the remaining platforms working.

That argues for merging into the trunk sooner rather than later. OTOH, if there isn't any new build system documentation and/or the new build system is unstable, then merging will cause frustration and start things off on the wrong foot.

--Beman