Boost logo

Boost-MPI :

Subject: [Boost-mpi] BOOST_MPI_HOMOGENEOUS
From: Alain Miniussi (alain.miniussi_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-04-16 09:53:24

Hi,

What is the rationale for not having BOOST_MPI_HOMOGENEOUS set by default ?

It seems to be the most common case for HPC and the underlying
assumption for MPI implementations.

Intel says: "use at your own risk"
https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-the-intel-mpi-library-on-a-heterogeneous-network

open MPI not by default:
  --enable-heterogeneous Enable features required
                        for heterogeneous platform
                         support (default: disabled)

I have seen quite a few installation on HPC facilities that had
heterogeneous config on and I suspect testing is usually made on default
configuration.

Plus, since Boost.MPI uses plain MPI (as opposed to serialization
library) on simple types, it is probably unlikely that it will work on
heterogeneous environment without extra care.

Is there any objection in setting BOOST_MPI_HOMOGENEOUS on by default ?

Thanks

--
---
Alain