Boost logo

Boost-MPI :

Subject: Re: [Boost-mpi] Develop VS master
From: Richard (richard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-14 16:54:40

Hi Alain,

I'm not a boost developer so I'm not sure what boost's policies are.
In my opinion merging develop to master and fixing the regression are
two separate issues, which should get addressed separately.
I think taking a broken master as an "excuse" to merge a development
branch is not a good idea. You should merge a development branch because
it has nice new features and other desirable improvements, not because
it will also fix the tiny problem which put the master branch into an
unusable state.
The merging process may also take a while due to code reviews of large
changes.

On the other hand, a bug that breaks the master should get addressed
with a proper fix as soon as possible (unless the another library
changed in such a substantial way, that large parts of the code need to
be adapted - which does not seem to be the case here).
Ideally, fixing such a bug should be possible within a very short time,
since only a small fix has to be reviewed.
If can be of any help of any help on this matter, please let me know.

Best,
Richard

>>> Richard