Boost logo

Boost-MPI :

Subject: [Boost-mpi] Develop VS master
From: Alain Miniussi (Alain.Miniussi_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-20 22:02:25

Hi,

Regarding devlop vs master, Marshall Clow (the Release Manager) has
asked what we want to do with the changes waiting in develop w.r.t. the
upcoming 1.65, those current status is:

"Release open for bug fixes and documentation updates. Other changes by
permission of a release manager."

As far as the bug fixes are concerned, the get_data issue has been
merged into master. There could be some merges in the documentation (for
installation related issues). Provided I find a way to generate it
locally. I just realized https://github.com/boostorg/mpi/pull/40 got
lost in the process but I'm going to merge it on it's own. So the
patch/doc aspect being dealt with, what about the new features ?

Unless I'm missing something (been a long time), the current diff
between develop and master mostly consist of:
- the cartesian communicators.
- new all_<gather>[v]
- less visible changes, factorization ...

These are clearly not bug fixes, but some people have been waiting for
it a few years now. Especially for the cartesian communicator.

There are pros and cons merging them now, as it has already been
discussed. And the decision does not belong to us, but It would be
interesting to have everyone's input on this specific situation.
Should we merge before the 1.65 or make it a bug fix and merge after the
release (unless there is a opposition) and let those change mature in
master for some time (but still be able to work on develop, which I do
not fell comfortable doing so with so many differences between develop
and master).

I'm oky with both (as long as the merge in made relatively quickly so we
can move on) with a slight preference for keeping 1.65 a bug fix release.

Regards,

Alain