Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Martin Wille (mw8329_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-23 09:24:37

Douglas Gregor wrote:
> On Jun 23, 2005, at 8:24 AM, David Abrahams wrote:
>
>>Until just now, I had forgotten that sometimes you really do need a
>>python that's built with the same compiler you're testing for -- I
>>guess that's something we'll need to build into BBv2.
>

> Can you expand on that "sometimes"?
>
> All of the Python failures on gcc-3.4.4-linux disappeared once I built
> Python with it; should I do the same for the other gcc-*-linux
> variants?

There are incompabilities in exception handling between gcc and icc.
They might exist between different gcc versions, too.

Those incompabilities become apparent when a program loads a shared
library which in turn uses another shared library and those libraries
and the main program have been compiled using different compilers (e.g.
main program and libboost_python.so with icc, python with gcc). In that
situation, passing an exception from the the second shared library
through the first library to the main program can lead to crashes. (It
took us some time to figure that out.)

Regards,

Boost-testing list run by mbergal at meta-comm.com