Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Marshall Clow (marshall_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-20 11:25:53

At 8:29 AM -0600 12/20/05, Stephen W. Carson wrote:
>Douglas Gregor wrote:
>
>> We need to avoid statvfs.h for some Mac OS X versions anyway, because
>> it isn't available on Panther (10.3.x). Granted, I don't know of any
>> other way to get this information.
>
>I'm not sure that is quite right. I believe sys/statvfs.h is part of the
>gcc 4/Tiger dev tools install. But that doesn't necessarily mean that a
>boost built with gcc 4 would not run on pre-Tiger Mac OS X. I would
>assume, in fact, that it would run. Building would be the only issue.
>That does require Xcode Tools 2+ which, in turn, require Tiger. Xcode
>Tools v2 are free but Tiger is not.

This is (partially) incorrect.

Executables built with GCC 4 (on Mac OS 10.4) can be run on Mac OS
10.3.9 - but no earlier.

This is due to a packaging change for the C/C++ runtime libraries,
which are now a shared library, instead of being statically linked
into each executable.

Apple docs:
<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/CppRuntimeEnv/Articles/LibCPPDeployment.html>

--
-- Marshall
Marshall Clow     Idio Software   <mailto:marshall_at_[hidden]>

Boost-testing list run by mbergal at meta-comm.com