Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Thomas Witt (witt_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-23 13:24:41

Stefan Slapeta wrote:
> Sean Huang wrote:
>>> For one thing I am not sure that this is actually the right fix for the
>>> issue but anyway.
>> What do you think is the right fix? I know very little about BBv2 and bjam
>> but my original message was posted about 1 week ago.
>>

> Maybe somebody from the boost.build group can tell us if this is the
> right procedure?

Ok, admittedly my remark was not very helpful. What I am referring to
was whether adding the flag changed the compiler behavior from earlier
test runs. If not I have no objections.

> Sean is right here. We definitely need something to distinguish between
> the VC base in the toolset. Though it's currently not easily possible
> without manual intervention to change this base dynamically on a machine
> (Intel asks for compatibility during the installation and "burns" this
> into iclvars.bat), we really have to test Intel now based on both VC 7.1
> and VC 8. And we need to make this difference visible in the toolset
> name somehow.
> I've always been testing with vc 7.1 only because changing between 7.1
> and 8 is quite difficult and error prone (and it needs 2 completely
> separate test runs).

While I agree with this in principle. This is NOT THE RIGHT TIME to make
changes like this. We are trying to get a release out. The list of
required compilers has been decided on. Messing with toolset names from
that point onwards is a bad idea.

The question of how we distinguish between 7.1 and 8.0 based compilation
is not relevant for 1.34.0. We picked from the list of available
regression tests and that's the end of that.

>>> There are two ways to resolve this either revert the change or fix all
>>> references in status/explicit-failures-markup.xml.
>> Let's do the right thing.
>>

> - use the vc71 name for errors related to intel on vc71
> (I not aware of such)
> - use the vc8 name for errors related to intel on vc8
> (must be at least those caused by the well-known vc8
> library bugs; they also occur on plain vc8 only)
> - use wildcards for errors related to intel compiler

These questions should be resolved for the next release. Until then I
kindly ask you to resolve the issue in one of the possible ways ASAP.

Sorry for being rude, but every day we spend on this is a day of delay
for the release.

Thanks

Thomas

--