Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir.prus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-03 16:19:23

On 8/3/06, Bronek Kozicki <brok_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Vladimir Prus wrote:
> > I've committed a change to fix error with V2. Except for running with
> > como-win on a project containing library, and verifying that output -n
> is
> > safe, I did not test the change, for lack of compiler. Can you see if it
> > improves anything?
>
> Hi Volodya
>
> it's little better now, but sill not there. Attached you will find bjam
> output
> and my configuration. Sorry about replying so late, but I missed your
> message on
> the mailing list. I know that you are leaving now - if you have no time or
> the
> fix is nontrivial, do not bother with it and have a good vacation.
>

> B.
>

> E:\DEVEL\BOOST_RTEST\boost\status>"E:\DEVEL\BOOST_RTEST\bjam.exe" --v2
> "-sBOOST_BUILD_PATH=E:\DEVEL\BOOST_RTEST"
> "-sBOOST_ROOT=E:\DEVEL\BOOST_RTEST\boost" como-win-4.3.3_vc7
> como-win-4.3.4.1_vc7 -d2 --dump-tests -l1500 link=static
> "--build-dir=E:\DEVEL\BOOST_RTEST\results"
> Building Boost.Regex with the optional Unicode/ICU support disabled.
> Please refer to the Boost.Regex documentation for more information
> (and if you don't know what ICU is then you probably don't need it).
> warn: Unable to construct ../libs/config/test/link/link_test
> warn: Unable to construct ../libs/config/test/link/link_test

This test explicitly tries to build DLL, so this can't work.

warn: Unable to construct
> ../libs/program_options/build/boost_program_options
> warn: Unable to construct
> ../libs/program_options/build/boost_program_options

Some program options test explicitly request DLL version of the binary, so
this can't work.

> warn: Unable to construct ../libs/python/test/map_indexing_suite_ext
> error: no generators were found for type 'PYTHON_EXTENSION'
> error: and the requested properties
> error: make sure you've configured the needed tools

Python extensions modules are DLL by definition.

See http://boost.org/boost-build2/doc/html/bbv2/advanced/configuration.html
To debug this problem, try the --debug-generators option.
object(python-test-generator)@60.run
>*** argument error
>* rule object(property-set)@20787.add ( ps )
>* called with: ( )
>* missing argument ps

What we have here is that code in python.jam that handles testing of Python
modules assumes that either the extension module builds, or we get a fatal
error. Seems like (I assume it's Rene's changes), extension module is not
built,but instead of fatal error we get empty list of targets, so code on
the above like crashes.

I think the biggest question now if it's possible, somehow, though arbitrary
amount of hacking, to get shared libraries work on this compiler. IIRC, some
time I was told that a future version will support DLLs. Is we can it work,
things are good.

Otherwise, we need to somehow disable all DLL tests -- including tests that
explicitly ask for DLL version of some library . There are such tests in
config (above), program_option, date_time. We'd need to also completely
disable Python tests that build python extension modules.

- Volodya

Boost-testing list run by mbergal at meta-comm.com