Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Misha Bergal (mbergal_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-02-04 14:59:26

Martin Wille wrote:
> David Abrahams schrieb:
>> David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> writes:
>>
>>> When I pass --incremental I always delete the old bjam.log first because
>>> otherwise regression.py will just append to the existing one. Am I
>>> doing the right thing?
> AFAICS, deleting bjam.log is not the reason for the holes. The reason
> usually is some problem with parsing bjam.log in order to produce the
> XML files.

Martin is completely right. At the end, whether you delete it or not
does not matter too much. Here the simplified explanation of what is
going on:

process_jam_log analyzes bjam output and extracts compile, link and run
actions results and output. The result and output for each found action
is stored in .xml file in the target directory of test or library (where
its .obj, .exe and other files are). If .xml file already exists there,
it gets loaded, processed action overrides the corresponding section and
saved in the target directory again.

After process_jam_log is done, regression.py searches whole bin.v2
directory for those .xml files (test results), packages them into one
big file, zips it and uploads to meta-comm.com

In case of incremental run only the small number of those .xml
files/test results are updated, but all of them still get collected by
regression.py and sent to us.

Deleting of bjam.log just saves you some process_jam_log processing time
and should not change any results.

--
Misha Bergal
MetaCommunications Engineering