Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-15 23:11:11

Beman Dawes wrote:
> David Abrahams wrote:
>> on Thu Nov 15 2007, Beman Dawes <bdawes-AT-acm.org> wrote:
>>> David Abrahams wrote:
>>>
>>> I've again wasted several hours today because
>>> Boost.Build doesn't generate XML files directly.
>> How so?
>
> Setting up new release branch test runners, and process_jam_log refusing
> to build.
>
> I'd guess there has been at least one issue a week with process_jam_log
> for the four or five weeks I've been working on 1.35.0 release issues.

Yea... And I avoid touching the thing because historically any change
turns out to backfire. And ends up taking up inordinate amount of time
dealing with it.

>> My problem is that I don't really understand what's involved in
>> eliminating PJL yet. Rene has referred to __ACTION_RULE__ but I don't
>> see how to use that facility to write any files.
>
> Maybe just have the compile, link, and run commands redirect stdout and
> stderr to a file (or possibly one file for each kind of action)?

That's what I had in mind.

> In other words, there really isn't an absolute requirement that the bjam
> step put everything in one XML file per test. As long as the location
> and name of output capture files were standard (maybe the names of the
> output capture files were written into the XML files), a post-bjam step
> could package them up at the same time the XML files are packaged for
> transmission.

Correct. But there are two goals to removing PJL:

* Remove the fragile design of the component.
* And support correct incremental testing.

Only the first one is addressed by spitting out action XML files and
collecting them as post-processing step. To get the second the
post-processing step would need to be directed by bjam such that it
knows which XML files to collect. This is to eliminate the stale XML
files problem that plagues incremental testing at the moment. This we
can do by having a single action that depends on all the action output
XML files and runs a script, or equivalent thereof [**], that joins the
individual XML files. But having only the first will be a glorious
moment :-)

[**] It could be done within bjam with an action as the script.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything

Boost-testing list run by mbergal at meta-comm.com