Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-07 23:54:23

David Abrahams wrote:
> on Tue Aug 05 2008, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot-AT-gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hm, AFAIK that is an inaccurate statement. Bitten can't give you
>> immediate results. It works on a batch model,
>
> No it does not. I've done a lot of work with Bitten, and am familiar
> with the internals. It uses xml-rpc to communicate the results of each
> build/test step "in real time," as it completes. It's up to you to
> chose the granularity of the steps.

OK, dully corrected :-) Although that's still not as "real-time" as
being able to watch a builders output live on a web page. Assuming one
doesn't do something silly like an xmlrpc call per output line.

> But that's totally beside my point, because I was talking about the
> immediacy of the visual information you get from such a display, not the
> latency with which results appear. [I have given up on Bitten for other
> reasons and am counting on what's happening in the Boost-CMake project
> to provide the same benefits]

I hope you mean the report work being done as an adjunct of that
project. Since it's not the build system we have problems with in the
testing. It's the report generation based on XSLT that's killing us.

> The Bitten display shows each repository revision starting with the
> latest, and it shows the results that have been returned for that
> revision by each tester (platform actually, but nevermind that for a
> moment). It's easy, and immediate, to see when a tester has not
> returned new results in a while.

That does look like the buildbot waterfall display, but a bit more
compressed. But I see what you mean. It's closer to the "latest build"
display on buildbot which shows the latest for each bot
<http://buildbot.buildbot.net/one_box_per_builder>. It's not totally
immediate in that you have to click on the build # to see the revision
details.

Note, I'm not suggesting buildbot is a solution to the report problems
as I've pointed out before. It might in the future though as they are
moving towards integration with site frameworks like Django.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything

Boost-testing list run by mbergal at meta-comm.com