Boost logo

Boost Testing :

Subject: [Boost-testing] A modest proposal
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-03 00:36:31

Some change in spirit/class or boost.move has rippled through to generate a
huge number of test failures in the serialization library on the develop
branch. OK that is what the develop branch is for. But it would be much
better if the test script were enhanced to use the following (pseudo code)
procedure

for each library
    set branch to master

for each library x
    set branch to develop
    run tests on library x
    set branch back to master

Then and error/problem would show up in only on the pages for tests of that
library x which contains the the error a not on all the libraries which use
library x. This would provide a number of benefits:

a) It would save all the authors whose libraries which use library x from
the trouble of chasing down the reasons why a bunch of tests in their own
library have spontaneously started to fail.

b) It would permit author of library x to make an error in the development
branch without having to create problems for everyone else

The current system does not scale to more libraries.

Robert Ramey

PS - On my own machine, I test the serialization library develop branch
against the master branch of all libraries. This simplifies my life and
minimizes the possibility that merging my changes into the master will
create problems.