Boost logo

Boost Testing :

Subject: Re: [Boost-testing] Test results processing transition..
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-21 16:21:57

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 10:22 AM, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 12:33 PM, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>

>> First run (total) ~28.0 min
>> Second run (total) ~13.0 min
>>
>> First run (git) ~6.5 min
>> Second run (git) ~1.5 min
>>
>> First run (build_results) ~19.0 min
>> Second run (build_results) 10.5 min
>>
>> Hence, the core of building the results is most of the time. But there's
>> still some considerable overhead. I did notice that the result build tool
>> is compiled every time for some reason. And it's not supposed to be :-( As
>> for the core result building.. From eyeing it, it seems the slow part is
>> the XML reading. And then there's git.. We could probably reduce that time
>> by only getting selected portions of Boost (enough to build the tools).
>>

> I've now changed the script so that: (a) it only fetches the Boost
> subrepos needed to build the report tool, and (b) only attempt to build the
> report tool (instead of all the regression tools).
>
> The times are now approximately:
>
> First run (total) ~ 25 minutes
> Second run (total) ~14.5 min
>
> First run (git) ~2.5 min
> Second run (git) ~0.8 min
>
> First run (update_tools) ~2.0 min
> Second run (update_tools) ~0.8 min
>
> First run (build_results) ~21.0 min
> Second run (build_results) ~13.0 min

I've now cleaned up and restructured the regression repo to isolate the
various tools to avoid extra build setup and dependencies. I also fixed a
build issue that was building debug exes instead of release. The times are
now..

First run (total) ~18.0 minutes
Second run (total) ~8.5 min

First run (git) ~2.5 min
Second run (git) ~0.8 min

First run (update_tools) ~2.0 min
Second run (update_tools) ~1.0 min

First run (build_results) ~13.5 min
Second run (build_results, no updates) ~6.0 min

The new report script is at <
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/boostorg/regression/develop/reports/src/build_results_all.sh
>.

If you want the faster times please change to using that one. The older one
will stay around until I hear that everyone has changed to this one.

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything

Boost-testing list run by mbergal at meta-comm.com