Boost logo

Boost Testing :

Subject: Re: [Boost-testing] Adding regression tests for mingw(-64)/gcc and clang on Windows
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-08-17 16:26:05

On 8/12/2015 11:25 PM, Jim Bell wrote:

> On 2015-08-11 11:47 PM, Edward Diener wrote:
>> On 8/11/2015 9:40 PM, Tom Kent wrote:
>>> Can you document it somewhere? I'd be interested in adding clang/gcc on
>>> mingw runs to the ones I do on windows, but I had never had much luck
>>> getting them up and running.
>>
>> I thought I had figured it out but it is still not working when trying
>> to run the regression tests. I am getting messages as if the
>> particular version of mingw-64/gcc used in a regression test is not in
>> my path when some executable is being run or tested ( so and so
>> mingw-64/gcc DLL can not be found ).
>>
>> Yet when I manually test out libraries in the latest boost trunk
>> everything is fine. I can see when I run tests that Boost build is
>> prepending the path to the mingw-64/gcc version I am using to the
>> Windows PATH so that when the test is run, everything is found.
>
> I have mingw tests for mingw-32, mingw-w64 gcc 4.9, 4.8, 4.7, 4.6, 4.5,
> and 4.4. Also the mingw-gcc that ships with Qt 5.4, Qt 5.2 and Qt 4.

Do you compile/link from each particular mingw's bin directory when you
test ? Or do you put each mingw's bin directory in your Windows PATH
when you test ? Because my experience is that you can't just invoke gcc
or g++ without getting compile/link errors unless the particular 'bin'
directory is in the PATH.

> I don't recall everything I did to get it working, but I'll fire one
> back up tomorrow.

Whatever information you can give would be helpful.

> As I recall, clang wouldn't build one kind of library (dynamic or
> static, I don't recall which), and that killed the results. Has that
> changed?
>

>> Soemhow the regression tests are not doing the same thing in running
>> the tests that I do manually to test any particular library. I will be
>> trying to find out what that is.
>>

>>> Tom
>>>
>>> On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 7:20 PM, Edward Diener <eldiener_at_[hidden]
>>> <mailto:eldiener_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 8/11/2015 4:38 PM, Edward Diener wrote:
>>>
>>> For a long time now we have had no regression tests for
>>> mingw/gcc or
>>> clang targeting gcc on Windows. The only regression tests for
>>> Windows
>>> are for various releases of VC++.
>>>
>>> I have limited resources but I have a laptop usually sitting
>>> idle,
>>> except for occasional travel where I take it with me, and I am
>>> set up to
>>> run tests on that machine for mingw/gcc and clang on Windows.
>>>
>>> However mingw/gcc and clang have limitations when running tests
>>> in that,
>>> both relying on various mingw/gcc implementations, the path
>>> to the
>>> implementation must be added at the beginning of the PATH before
>>> running
>>> any of the tests. I have already argued with the mingw-64 people
>>> about
>>> this necessity but they are adamant that this should be the case
>>> even
>>> just to compile/link properly ( and have setup their directory
>>> structure
>>> to enforce it ), and I don't want to waste my breath further
>>> with them.
>>>
>>> Currently I have a batch file that does that for me when running
>>> tests
>>> for any particular library, but I don't know how that can be

Boost-testing list run by mbergal at meta-comm.com