From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-10-07 18:15:58

Last week we were having a discussion about the sort of content that might, or
might not belong on the Wiki. I have tried another small experiment that might
be a useful approach to augmenting the current boost information.

The idea is to build a summary of mailing list discussion threads related to
each library (or other topics). Many of the discussion on the mailing list can
provide insight into the library design as well as solutions to specific
problems not necessarily incorporated in the documentation.

I built a small example for the function library.

http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?Function_Library_
-_Mail_Thread_Summary

I have used the following convention for this:
 -- Order the thread names by date
 -- Title of the thread is either the email title, or a more precise title
followed by the original thread title in parens

The link performs a search that returns all the items in the thread from the
yahoo groups site. One problem is that since the search is full text, some
threads cannot be easily retrieved. For example searching "function review"
will return a pile of email on threads and other topics unrelated to function.

Despite the issues, this would seem to me this would be a useful contribution
library users could build. Thoughts?

Jeff