From: Wismar, John (john.wismar_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-25 18:57:56

I wonder if someone can help me get up and running with Boost using VC7.
I've tried to follow the Boost Build documentation, and am running into
problems. A description of different things I've tried is below.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!

So far I've downloaded the Windows version of Boost.Build, and have run
boost-build.exe (I couldn't tell if it did anything.)

I added the boost-build directory to my PATH by hand, along with the VC7/bin
directory.

I also remember some discussion about how jam couldn't handle VC's default
install dir (which is, for the purposes of this discussion, where mine is)
because it has spaces in it, so I've used SUBST to define Z: as my VS.NET
path.

When I run jam from the boost_1_26_0 dir, using:
jam -sBOOST_ROOT=. -sTOOLS="msvc"
I get errors that look like:

msvc-C++-action
libs\regex\build\bin\libboost_regex.lib\msvc\debug\runtime-link-
dynamic\c_regex_traits.obj
c_regex_traits.cpp
c1xx : fatal error C1108: unable to find DLL: 'mspdb70.dll'

    Z:\vc7\bin\cl /Zm400 -nologo -GX -c -I"libs\regex\build"
-Fo"libs\reg
ex\build\bin\libboost_regex.lib\MSVC\debug\c_regex_traits.obj"
-Tp"libs\regex\b
uild\../src\c_regex_traits.cpp"

...failed msvc-C++-action
libs\regex\build\bin\libboost_regex.lib\MSVC\debug\c_regex_traits.obj ...
msvc-C++-action
libs\regex\build\bin\libboost_regex.lib\MSVC\debug\c_regex_traits_common.obj
c_regex_traits_common.cpp
c1xx : fatal error C1108: unable to find DLL: 'mspdb70.dll'

So I added VC7's common7/IDE/ directory to my path, because that's where
mspdb70.dll lives, but it didn't resolve the issue.

Delving deeper into the docs, I found the suggestion that I do:
set TOOLS=msvc
jam

instead of what the top level docs say, but then I get a message that I
didn't set the toolset, and I should use:

set VISUALC=<path>
set JAM_TOOLSET=VISUALC
jam

When I do that, I get: