From: bill_kempf (williamkempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-20 16:59:11

--- In Boost-Users_at_y..., "gunnarnl" <gunnar_at_m...> wrote:
> Yes, thank you. This helped. I have also removed the
> BOOST_HAS_THREADS from my settings and it works fine. However, I
have
> now of course a question regarding the multithreaded DLL. I
normally
> compile using the pure multithreaded. What's the difference to the
> multithreaded DLL? How do I change the jam files so that I compile
> the boost library with the pure multithreaded. I have now only got
> the multithreaded DLL versions.

The "pure multithreaded" just links against a static library version
of the C RTL, while the "multithreaded DLL" links against the import
library for msvcrt.dll. In this case you must be sure that platforms
you install your application on have msvcrt.dll installed (it's
redistributable so you can install this DLL in your setup). Other
then this, there's no noticable difference.

> Maybe I should always use the multithreaded DLL as default.

I do :). However, there's legitimate reasons to want to use static
linking. It all depends on your deployment needs, mostly.

Bill Kempf