From: hicks (hicks_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-06 02:38:25

> [...]
> > edge (or edges) which connect those two nodes. The nodes are,
> > needless to say, distinct objects. It's up to the programmer to
> > design a node data type which can capture the necessary information
> > to distinguish between nodes. Obviously what I'm saying is obvious,
> > so I think it's my turn to say "I'm missing your point", and ask for
> > clarification.

> I don't know who's missing what, but I could have been more clear
> before and will attempt to be so now. I'll also provide a somewhat
> realistic example, which is what you originally asked for (in message
> #594).
>
> Consider an application used by a school for keeping track of students,
> courses, teachers, rooms, books, meals, buses and other objects that
> are part of the school.
>
> The application uses a Student class:
>
> class Student {
> int id;
> string name;
> string address;
> Date birthdate;
> };
>
> The Student class has a lot of data members, and there are a lot of
> (member and free) functions for handling students. Indeed, there is
> an extensive graphical user interface that allows the user to add,
> modify, delete and find students maintained by the application.
>
> The application also uses a Course class:
>
> class Course {
> int number;
> string name;
> string description;
> string instructor;
> string room;
> string meeting_times;
> };
>
> Like the Student class, the Course class has a lot of data members,
> and there are a lot of (member and free) functions for handling
> course. And there is an extensive graphical user interface that
> allows the user to add, modify, delete and find courses maintained
> by the application.
>
> What I want you to imagine is that there are two independent and
> well-developed classes that do not yet have an association between
> them. One might even imagine -- as is actually realistic -- that
> the two classes are parts of different applications written by
> different programmers.
>
> Of course, requirements change and software evolves. At some point,
> there is a requirement to associate students and courses: to keep
> track of which students are enrolled in which classes. Obviously,
> this is a many-to-many association.
>
> As I understand it, in order to use the BGL -- indeed to use any graph
> library with which I am familiar -- one would have to derive both the
> Student and Course classes from some common base class:
>
> class SchoolObject { ... };
>
> class Student : public SchoolObject { ... };
>
> class Course : public SchoolObject { ... };
>
> Then one could create a graph for which each node is a SchoolObject.

I was thinking more along the following lines:

// reusable code for RTTI based multiclass association

class NodeBase { /* common node interface */ };

template <class T>
class NodeDerived : public NodeBase;
{
    T *pT;
};

// application code for multiclass association
typedef NodeDerived<Student> NodeStudent;
typedef NodeDerived<Course> NodeCourse;

As you can see, I am thinking of a design where all the code
that can gets factored into a seperate module for
class-generic RTTI-based multiclass association.

First and foremost, because this is RTTI, there is no compile time type
checking of the derived types. But there is run-time checking,
which can also pushed into the reusable class-generic RTTI-based code.

> While this approach might work, it is unnatural. A Student is not a
> Course, and there really is no such concept as a "SchoolObject" in the
> application domain. Indeed, such an approach would allow links
> (graph edges) between students and students, or between courses and
> courses -- neither of which makes sense. Thus there would need to be
> source code to explicitly forbid such illogical links.

There would need to be such source code, but the hard work could be pushed
into the reusable class-generic RTTI-based code.

> There are two main problems with using the BGL (or any general-purpose
> graph library with which I am familiar).
>
> First, a mathematically idealized graph generally does not distinguish
> between nodes of different types: Any node can be linked to any other
> node via an edge. The same can be said of computer implementations of
> graphs. In brief, a graph is typically an association between a type
> (class) and itself.
>
> Yes, mathematically, one can consider bipartite graphs in which nodes
> can be classified into different classes. But the graph libraries I
> have seen do not implement this idea as a graph involving two
> different (C++) classes of nodes.
>
> Second, the graph libraries I am familiar with emphasize abstract nodes
> linked by edges. The nodes and edges may each have data associated with
> them (the BGL does this using property maps), but the data associated
> with nodes and edges is considered secondary. In effect, the idea of a
> graph makes the association primary and the participating class(es) of
> nodes (objects) secondary.
>
> But in typical applications -- as I try to indicate in my example --
> the emphasis is the object. The classes of objects (students and
> courses) are primary and are predetermined. One does not have the
> flexibility to recode these classes to conform to, say, the BGL, the
> Graph Template Library (GTL) or some other graph library. The
> association between the classes is a relatively minor detail, and
> associations can be added, modified or removed from an application
> perhaps more frequently than the classes of objects themselves.
>
> I am looking for a library that allows me to take the preexisting
> Student and Course classes and to add an Enrollment association between
> the two with but minimal modification of existing source code.
>

> > Are you saying it would be useful to have a bipartite graph (or
> > N-partite graph) with each part holding separate types? Is that how
> > Tilevich's association library worked? I can't recall.
>

> Yes, as I note above, I am saying it would be useful to have a
> bipartite graph, i.e., a graph with nodes in two different classes.
>
> Yes, this is how Tilevich does it in the Sept. 2001 C/C++ Users Journal
> article. He gives an example involving employees and projects, which is
> conceptually the same as my example involving students and courses:
>
> ManyMany<Employee*, Project*> Projects;

No question, Tilevich's code is superior in the case of two fixed classes,
for those applications whose requirements are completely satisfied
by said code.

> > I dare say the BGL (or any C++ based graph) could handle nodes with
> > different data types via inheritance (all nodes contain a pointer to
> > base data class).
>

> Yes, I think it could. But as I note above, it is unnatural to derive
> fundamentally different classes from some artificial base class.
>
> Moreover, in so doing, you allow for unnatural edges linking, say, a
> student to a student rather than to a course.
>

> > Regardless, the issue of classes is one of syntax. My statement was
> > meant semantically, without regard to syntax.
> >
> > 1. Do you agree with the statement "Any implementation of an
> > many-many assoication container must have an underlying graph
> > lurking within (semantically speaking)"?
>

> Yes, I agree, if one allows that the underlying graph may be a
> bipartite graph that has nodes in two different classes.
>

> > 2. Do you agree with the statement "The BGL is capable of being the
> > underlying mechanism for implementing a many-many class (e.g., one
> > with the I/F defined by Tilevich's interface) ?
> >
> > I'm fairly certain about 1, and think 2 is correct, but am not
> > certain especially since I don't have Tilevich's class at hand
> > right now.
>

> Yes, it is capable of being the underlying mechanism.
>
> But it is also true that it is possible to write an object-oriented
> program with inheritance, polymorphism and virtual functions in
> plain C. It is possible, but it is not very natural or convenient.
>
> The point of the STL -- and I believe of Boost extensions of the STL
> -- is to make common but involved tasks *easy* by providing templates
> that are efficient and easy to use.

I will second that "*easy*" statement !!!
Providing a "configuration", an interface that specializes
a container to make it usable for a particular purpose counts as making
it easy.
That is definitely a requirement if BGL were to be used to
to implement an association class.

> > The 3rd question is, if it can be implemented with BGL, is it worth
> > it? You'd be able to reuse the exchangeability of data structures.
> > You'd have a host of algorithms available. Anything new you
> > developed might be reused for graphs in general. You'd have more
> > time to concentrate on the I/F.
>

> This question gets at my point about graphs emphasizing the
> association, i.e., the edges, whereas most C++ application classes
> that participate in associations are emphasized more than than the
> associations between them.
>
> To put it a different way, much of the functionality that a graph
> library provides -- beyond being a mechanism for implementing the
> association -- is not desired.

If the user-programmer can't see it (hidden by interface), does it exist?

> Would one do a depth-first or breadth-first search of the graph
> students and courses? What would that mean and what use would it be?
>
> Would one want to find connected components, i.e., clusters of students
> and courses that form a kind of school-within-a-school? One could do
> that, but it would not be high on the list of requirements for a school
> management application.
>
> What is desired is being able to access "neighbors": all the courses a
> particular student is enrolled in or all the students enrolled in a
> particular course. But oned oes *not* need an entire graph library to
> achieve this low-level functionality. One just needs an association
> library.
>
> And that is what I seek: An efficient, flexible, easy-to-use
> association library that allows me to add, modify and delete different
> kinds of associations (1-to-1, 1-to-many, many-to-many, unidirectional,
> bidirectional, etc.) between classes A, B, C, etc., in which some
> associations are between a class and itself (hence a general graph)
> but other associations are between distinct classes.

Mostly I want to agree with you as far as the following is true:
You have an application all of whose requirements, (present and envisioned
future), are satisfied by Telivich's library.

Otherwise, you might want to think about the cost/benefits of an
RTTI version (with templates) versus a template only version.

> Craig, thank you for your good questions and for giving me the
> opportunity to think out loud.
>
> Thanks,
> Rob Zako
>
> P.S. So far we have been discussing only *binary* associations. If we
> were to discuss ternary and higher-order associations, which link 3 or
> more objects together, then the idea of an association as a graph would
> break down.

Good point.

Craig Hicks