From: Darin Adler (darin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-06 11:15:31

On Monday, May 6, 2002, at 08:42 AM, Jon Kalb wrote:

> The boost.org home page has the statement "The Boost web site provides free peer-reviewed portable C++ source libraries." Perhaps the word "free" should have a link to a page that explains what users can and cannot do with Boost library sources (with some examples).

The reason this isn't there is that each library essentially has its own license -- whatever the library author puts in. But we do require that the license meet certain criteria or we won't allow it in Boost, and that criteria is: "Must grant permission to copy, use and modify the software for any use (commercial and non-commercial) for no fee."

But there is not a single standard license and thus it's hard to make a clear blanket statement.

> Given the existence to clueless bosses and worse company lawyers I don't think we can be too clear on this point.

I think there is room for much improvement, and this has been discussed at length before. Perhaps you can come up with a specific proposal that Boost contributors would agree to.

     -- Darin