From: adhalejr (donnie_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-16 08:09:59

John,

Thanks for the prompt response and mods. See below for follow-ups...

> OK, I've had to patch boost/config/stdlib/stlport.hpp to support
that
> configuration, modified source is in the cvs as usual (I've
attached it to
> this mail as well).

I grabbed the file and did a build using bjam. Interestingly, the
debug builds for both DLL and static versions worked (in "runtime-
link-dynamic"). However, the release builds failed. There were
numerous errors of the form:

'strcmp' is not a member of '_STL' in function _fastcall
c_traits_base::do_lookup_class(const char *)
'strcpy' is not a member of '_STL' in function _fastcall
c_traits_base::set_message_catalogue(const _STL::string &)

It seemed to always be strcmp and strcpy in numerous regex functions.

> Yes, "runtime-link-static" means the dll C-runtime and runtime-link-
static
> means the static C-runtime. The latter isn't built by default by
the
> Jamfiles (although it is by the supplied makefiles for regex -- I
would
> recommend that you use these if you can with C++ Builder as it
makes linking
> easier- see the regex introductory docs). If you want to use Jam
then there
> should be a command line option to pass to Jam to get it to build
static
> runtime versions (you will want to turn on threading support as
well if you
> are using the MT-runtime) but I'm not familiar enough with Jam to
be able to
> just tell you what it is.

I attempted to do a build of regex using "make -f bcb5.mak", but it
stopped immediately in c_regex_traits.cpp w/ errors from Borland's
<ctype.h> file saying things like "_chartype", "_lower", "isascii",
etc. are not members of _STL; e.g.

../src/c_regex_traits.cpp:
Error E2316 c:\borland\bcc55\bin\..\include\ctype.h 204: '_chartype'
is not a member of '_STL'

I'll try to figure out what the right Jam hoops are to get the build
I want, that is, a regex static library compiled to expect the
Borland static, multi-threaded runtime library.

> Isn't that what you have now - thread lib built and ready to go?

There were so many errors the first time I tried to compile stuff
that I killed the build before it got to threads. Now that it almost
works for regex, I'm running into errors compiling threads. I'll put
up a different post for that if I need to. :)

Thanks again,

Donnie