From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-16 18:40:36

"Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> From: "Edward Diener" <eddielee_at_[hidden]>
> > Please consider updating the documentation so that in the Purpose
section
> > before discussing the use of boost::bind with various types of objects,
> you
> > better explain the mechanism regarding argument passing and substitution
> in
> > general..
>
> I'll see what I can do, although documentation writing is not one of my
top
> skills. :-) Any specific suggestions?

The suggestion is that you explain how to bind specific arguments to
boost::bind, the need to specify placeholders for all the other arguments,
and also how to eventually pass arguments for placeholders. I know you are
giving various examples when specifying how to use boost::bind with
different types of functors, but they don't explain it all in a methodical
way. I find the examples good but the general mechanism eluded me when I
first read it. I think I understand it now but because it is not explained
clearly at the beginning before you give practical examples, it made it much
harder to fathom how it all worked. BTW, as a binding mechanism I think it
is great work, but I don't think you need even assume that programmers who
use it even understand std::bind1st or std::bind2nd if you explain it a bit
better. Of course it is your perogative to assume a higher level of
understanding of programmers using your boost::bind mechanism and not feel
that you have to originally explain it and how it works in a general way.