From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-07-08 12:01:38

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 14:36:33 +0100, Russell Hind wrote
> Jeff Garland wrote:
> >
> > No, this was brought up recently on the developer list. Take
> > a look at this message from the archive:
> >
> > http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/1686681
> >

> Thanks Jeff. Have you any plans to address this in a future release
> (and if so, which way will you go?)

I'm a little worried about breaking existing code, so
I think the right thing would be to modify the input to accept
either a string or an integer month in the from_simple_string.

> Your suggested method would output the string as
>
> 2003-07-08 ....
>
> But I quite like having the 3 letter month name in there. Living in
> the UK, theres always confustion as to whether the day was before
> the month or not. I know that when the year comes first, the month
> comes second but having the month spelled out just removes any
> chance of this.

I agree totally with this -- it is the reason why the output includes
the 3 letter month. Unfortunately, I didn't make it consistent...

> For now, I'll implement my own time_from_string method that handles
> the month as 3 characters.

When you get it working, ship it to me and I will work on including
it in the next release...

Jeff