From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-28 22:59:57

Roger Wilco wrote:
> I have a somewhat large (~100K lines) C++ server application. It uses
> Boost (lots of smart pointer use, thread use, regex), Xerces XML
> libraries, some MFC for GUI, and ADO for database access.
>
> I tried to build a test build of my application using Microsoft's
> Managed C++. I got all my code to compile, but I can't link to either
> Boost or Xerces XML. Is this possible? Has anyone done this?

Did you build a Managed C++ application, ie. did you compile with the /clr
option ? If so, what is it that is not linking in Boost ? Only a few Boost
implementations are libraries, so when you say you had problems linking, you
need to be explicit about what failed and what linker errors you were
getting ?

> If I ultimately go the .NET route, I would replace Boost and Xerces
> with functionality provided by the native .NET runtime libraries.

No need to do this at all. You should have no problem using 3rd party non
.NET libraries in .NET assemblies using Managed C++. The IJW facility of
Manageed C++ ( It Just Works ) makes it pretty transparent to use 3rd party
libraries.