From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-30 19:30:15

Hi James,

It's best to post Boost.Python questions to the c++-sig:

  http://www.boost.org/more/mailing_lists.htm#cplussig

James Mastro <jmastro_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to use Boost Python on Mac OS X 10.3. I'm following along
> with what is at http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/tutorial/doc/
> building_hello_world.html. After using bjam like this:
>
> bjam -sTOOLS=darwin
>
> the following are built:
>
> libboost_python.dylib
> hello.so
>
> This seems to be correct. I'm not totally sure where they are supposed
> to go, so I put them in next to Python in the Python framework so
> Python could find them to import. It found them, but an "import hello"
> in Python resulted in:
>
> ImportError: Failure linking new module:
> ../../../../bin/boost/libs/python/build/libboost_python.dylib/darwin/
> debug/shared-linkable-true/libboost_python.dylib: dyld:
> /Applications/MacPython-2.3/PythonIDE.app/Contents/MacOS/PythonIDE
> can't open library:
> ../../../../bin/boost/libs/python/build/libboost_python.dylib/darwin/
> debug/shared-linkable-true/libboost_python.dylib (No such file or
> directory, errno = 2)
>
> Before putting the 2 libs in, "import hello" found nothing. So I
> assume Python is finding the hello module now, but not liking it.
> Can anyone show me where I've gone wrong? Many thanks.

I don't know much about MacOS X, but I'm guessing there's an
LD_LIBRARY_PATH or some such that tells it where to look for
dynamically linked libraries? If so, you need to modify it to point
at libboost_python.dylib, or move the library to a location already in
that path.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting