From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-06-22 15:04:35

Alexis H. Rivera-Rios wrote:

> 1) g++ is in the path. Doing the g++ --version
> displays the version information:
> C:\opt\boost_1_31_0>g++ --version
> g++ (GCC) 3.2.3 (mingw special 20030504-1)
>
> 2) Mingw is installed in the default directory:
> c:\mingw
>
> Does the fact that I got a warning about spawnvp
> function when I built bjam has something to do with
> this?

Don't know right now. I'll try and do the same compile you did and post
about that later tonight (I always use the VC71 compiled version).

> I read somewhere something about different signatures
> for the spawn function and this indicates the one used
> by bjam is not the one that mingw supports.

Interesting, I'll have to look into this. Do you have pointer to more
information about that?

> Why would spawn fail?

Many reasons.. But the immediate one can only be either what you mention
about spawn incompatibility. Or if the name of the command we are
passing in a not understood somehow (like not finding it in the PATH or
a typo).

>Is this an OS issue or a
> compiler thing? Is bjam the program that fails? Or is
> it a python script that fails? How can I trace this
> error?

:-) Answers... Not likely; Yes; No; Not easily.

> I really appreciate your help,

Here are some things you can try to get this working...

1. With the MinGW built bjam, specify the mingw path to the build:

        bjam -sTOOLS=mingw -sMINGW_ROOT_DIRECTORY=c:\mingw

2. Download the prebuilt bjam 3.1.10 version, which is built with VC7.1,
to see if it's a problem with the mingw built bjam only. (See
SourceForge for the files)

3. With the vc71 built bjam try both with and without
-sMINGW_ROOT_DIRECTORY specified.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything